Warning: Spoilers ahead for Thor: Love and Thunder! Turn back now if you haven’t seen the movie!
Tessa Thompson, who plays Valkyrie in Thor: Love and Thunder, has revealed that she fought to keep one scene in particular in the final cut. In the movie, Luke Hemsworth and Matt Damon play members of a theatre troupe who put on shows in New Asgard about the events of previous Thor movies – both return from Thor: Ragnarok.
At one point, the actors approach Valkyrie after Gorr the God Butcher attacks New Asgard to ask about putting on another play covering the villain’s rampage, and that moment almost ended up cut from the film. “I loved it! These movies go through so many different edits, so things stay and go away. And typically, I just watch these movies at the premiere, but this time around, I actually watched a couple of the cuts because I found that process really interesting. I’m now producing more, so I really wanted to understand how the “sausage” is made,” Thompson told The Hollywood Reporter (opens in new tab).
“And so there was one cut where that bit went away and I was so sad, but then it came back and I was so happy. (Laughs.) I was like, “That has to be in the movie!” So I was very sad for a brief second when it wasn’t there, but yeah, that was so fun,” she continued. “Having them around to explore the importance of theater and storytelling, as expressed in Asgardian culture, I just loved that.”
While that scene eventually made it back into the movie, Natalie Portman, who plays Jane Foster – AKA the Mighty Thor – has revealed that a lot ended up on the cutting room floor. “There were whole sequences, planets, characters, and worlds that didn’t end up in the movie that were hilarious and amazing and [that] we spent a lot of time and energy on, and certainly the entire crew also designing and conceiving,” she commented.
At the moment, there are no confirmed plans for Thor’s return, but judging by the Love and Thunder post-credits scenes and that surprise cameo, we can probably expect a Thor 5 that covers those particular plot developments. Until then, you can catch up on the MCU on Disney Plus, and for much more on the movie, you can check out our spoilery guides on:
- Thor: Love and Thunder ending explained
- Every Thor: Love and Thunder Easter egg you might have missed
- When does Thor: Love and Thunder take place on the Marvel timeline?
- When to expect Thor: Love and Thunder on Disney Plus
- Who dies in Thor: Love and Thunder?
- All the Thor: Love and Thunder cameos you might have missed
- Every cut Thor: Love and Thunder cameo, listed
- Does Thor have a daughter in the comics?
- Is Loki in Thor: Love and Thunder?
- How to watch the Marvel movies in order
- The full Marvel timeline, explained
- Everything coming in Marvel Phase 4